Author Topic: City Planning & Development  (Read 1548 times)

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
City Planning & Development
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
Ok, so graphic below (if you can read my chicken scratch) is what my basic idea for the city design was looking like.  We have the spawn area, and then a road from spawn which splits.

Down the roads, we have a market exchange (random goods), a general store (basic necessities), a flight center (teleportations), a bank (sell for currency and convert to currency),  an entertainment hub (a gathering place), and two monuments.

Fairly small and simple.  How it looks when it is actually built may not even be anything resembling this.  If you have any other ideas, post them.  Anyways, so here are the specs for each building.

Market exchange will have 4 stalls.  Each stall will have 3 counters.  These counters will change goods every day.  The stalls will be cheap items (first stall), more uncommon items (second stall), rare items (3rd stall) and custom items (4th stall).  To sum it up, just know that there are 4 spots, and each of these four spots should have room for 3 people.

The general store will sell general goods.  Probably some starter food, shulker boxes, I don't know what else.  Anyways, it will be a smaller shop and will only need to fit in a few selling places.

The bank will have two counters where people can sell goods.  5 stacks of items will = 2 currency.  Or something like that.  It needs testing yet but should work.  It will also have 2 XP --> currency converters.  If anyone played on B.U. Landing, you should have seen these and know what they are.

Entertainment hub will have the slot machines, cause I think they are awesome.  Maybe another small game... not sure what.  It will be the chill out area for anyone waiting in the town.

Flight center will sell Elytras and rockets.  It will take you to the teleporters as well.  There will also be a float pad out back to launch off from the city.

Two monuments will be at each side of the city.  Going to wait for feedback for these... they will be the last things added anyways.

The priority for the builds will look like this.

1.)  Path, Bank, Flight Center
2.)  General Store, Exchange
3.)  Entertainment Hub
4.)  Monuments

These are the ideas so far.  Please throw your feedback responses back.  Things will be altered as we go.
"I am a T-Rex! I am invincible!!"

Offline graafmanneke

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Brigadier
Re: City Planning & Development
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
So basically getting erythra and rockets will be easy? I guess we need to implement something for rockets because of no general mob farms that are allowed. We should implement tnt aswell imo, it has become my main excavating mechanism :p
Watch out, I peck!

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
So basically getting erythra and rockets will be easy? I guess we need to implement something for rockets because of no general mob farms that are allowed. We should implement tnt aswell imo, it has become my main excavating mechanism :p

Getting the starter rockets will be easy, yes.  Getting better ones, more costly.  Mob farms are allowed, but mobs can only be collected on a 1x1 block to ensure max limits are enforced (excess mobs die off instantly preventing server lag).  This rule was updated a couple days ago.  TNT........... *cries*

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Ok, so currency this time around is going to be nice and simple.  Xp bottles.  Using the 1:1 game values, level 40 would give something like 300'ish xp bottles.  Instead, I decided to simplify the currency to this.

Level 10 = 2 xp bottles
Level 20 = 6 xp bottles
Level 30 = 18 xp bottles
Level 40 = 54 xp bottles

The only way to obtain these in-game, to my knowledge, is by trading 3-11 emeralds to a villager for 1 xp bottle.  I think this method should keep currency nice and simple.  Sure, if you want to spam xp bottles back to regain your levels it will be impossible... but it keeps inventory space and shops nice and simple.

For example, starting elytra will cost 1 xp bottle.  TP Hub access will cost 1 xp bottle.  32 blocks of glowstone will cost maybe 10 xp bottles.

Give feedback please.

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
mare has been on the ball above ground today.  He has built the spawning area and adapted Suki's path.  I have been busy underground with starting to put together the inner workings.  Everything is coming together quite nicely atm.

Offline graafmanneke

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 06:08:13 AM »
So an elytra, probably one of the most difficult items to obtain in vanilla minecraft, is considered 1/10 of 32 glowstone?

So basically I can trade 3 glowstone for 1 elytra? Seems unbalanced
Watch out, I peck!

Offline graafmanneke

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
I was talking about the dark room mob farms, not the spawners.

Btw I'll be on today
Watch out, I peck!

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
Yep, Elytras are going to be worthless.  Dark room mob farms are fine if it is what I am thinking.  Just anything which collects mobs needs to collect them onto a 1x1 block.

Offline graafmanneke

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
Ok so elytra unbalanced, which makes travelling easier for new people aka get even further out?

Oh cool, dark room mob farms allowed now, so basically free gunpowder?  :meaw:
Watch out, I peck!

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »
Were dark room mob farms not allowed?  I don't remember that.  Anyways, the rule is pretty much, any kind of farming of mobs, they need to be collected to a 1x1 square.  This will probably go for a dark room too.  I am assuming you will be funneling them somewhere.  If you are just running around killing them all inside the dark room, then just do as you please.  If they have some kind of insta-kill mechanic and they are not sitting in one spot for minutes at a time, that is fine too.

Yes and no.  Traveling will be fairly easy on the server... but you still need to invest a small amount of time to get an elytra.  You're not just handed one.  Currency still is not sorted, so we can tweak that initial 'obtaining time' to what we need.  So someone who joins and is new will still need to sit around town a short while until they can pick one up.  Most people I feel are either going to say "WHAT!? NO PLUGINS!?" and leave right away, or just skip the town and wander off to build next to spawn, and then leave. lol

I am not seeing easily obtainable Elytra as being too big of a problem.  The idea is to have it so new players can buy one, but not spam buy them, but vets will be able to easily afford them, so traveling for them will become a cinch.  Ideally I would like to have new players fish/mini-dungeon fight in town to get the EXP required to leave.  Most griefers wont bother spending that time.

Also, on a side-note, most of the 'behind-the-scenes' city work is finished.  Bringing over the old systems was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.  Mojang may have just done a good job on re-doing the coding.  So things like /trigger town add 1 (which puts you in queue and takes you back to the city at dawn/night) is already implemented and working.  You probably already noticed the Pay Outs are working, and all city protections are in and ready to go.  Even the Sleep -> Night Cycle Skip has returned and is already working.

*also, after re-reading your post... all players will be able to access all parts of the map.  Going really far out will not mean super protection like it once did.  The map will be fairly large however.  In order to reach each TP location, it will require 24 216 144 (I'm bad at working with numbers) separate teleports... and no, teleports are not free either.  Still those are a lot of places to choose from... so everyone will be spread way out and should be not exactly easy to just find people.

Ok so elytra unbalanced, which makes travelling easier for new people aka get even further out?

Oh cool, dark room mob farms allowed now, so basically free gunpowder?  :meaw:

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
Just a heads up... structures built on the new map should be fairly small.  As compact as you can make them without them looking funny or feeling too cramped.  Large structures are not meant for this starting area and 'will' look funny if added.  So, keep in mind cozy house size, when building.  Just get in what is needed.

Buildings also need to have a small housing area on 2nd floor.  It does not need to be attached to steps or ladder or have a way to access it (npc quarters).  The NPC should be confined to this area.

I am working on the Flight Center atm.  See design for examples.

And nothing larger than a 32x32x32 please.

Offline VoidingNixx

• Server Operator
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Brigadier
  • Negatory!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 04:10:11 AM »
So the bank is going to allow the sale of goods for currency.  There are two ways to handle this which I can think of.  Two ways which will make it easy and simplistic.  Let me know which idea you like, or suggest another.

#1)  Sales of any item x64 x 10.  We can allow something like the sale of 10 64 stacks of items (640 of any item or mix and match as long as there are a total of 10 stacks, each having some type of 64 items).  Selling 10 stacks will be worth 1 currency.  This could be anything from seeds to diamonds.  From dirt blocks to redstone dust.  It could be modified to take up to 20 64 stacks of items.

#2)  Sales of select items.  Instead of any item, we restrict it to just a few.  Example, 3 iron blocks, 3 gold blocks, 6 redstone blocks, 1 diamond block would all equal 3 currency no matter which you decided to sell, but you would only be able to sell those ore blocks.  Again, I am just throwing out numbers, but it would be something along these lines.

Personally, I like method one.  Someone else may have another idea entirely in mind.  Please let me know your thoughts.